Friday, November 27, 2009

My Survival: Canopy vs. My Fear

I was so elevated my spirit trembled. I remembered seeing the angels laughing at me, mocking my very existence in their dwelling. My feet became heavy as I tiptoed, slowly becoming numb as I took timid strides. “Am I gonna die?” “Why would I do this?” “Fuck! I can’t see anything but jungle!” Just a few words were able to squeeze through my quivering lips. I guess if one heard me it must have sounded like a faint prayer in the lungs of a professional pessimist. Because that’s who I am, a pessimist. I don’t believe in luck, or only living once, or any of that philosophical, optimistic mumbo jumbo. I believe that I am alive now because of extremely cautious behavior and obscene amounts of prayer.

I never smoked nor drank any alcoholic beverages and I don’t plan to, why? ‘cause I like living! So it must have been funny to many that I would willingly walk on this flimsy ass, cramped and suspended piece of bridge in the middle of Ghana’s Kukum National Park. This park is home to snakes, Elephants, and thousands of insects, namely a scorpion that I almost stepped on that was all black and had a stinger the size of Africa. It was like a just-my-size Survivor package. Take everything I’m afraid of, put it in a jungle and watch the little city-boy squirm. I hope those watching were thoroughly entertained. This canopy walk is one of the main attractions of the whole country. People from far and wide come to try their luck walking across. Fact about it, there was many different kinds of humanoids walking across with me: Indian, Japanese, Chinese, and Pakistani. Together we all walked 7 canopy bridges, me being the one who was scared the whole time.
I must come clean, I am afraid of heights. There I said it. I knew that I would never be more scared of anything ever again. I was so nervous my legs began to sweat. Like seriously, sweat was coming from my shins! All I tried to do was follow Emily’s voice. She was a bit ahead of me, trying to keep her balance and calm me at the same time. “How you doin back there babe?” She would yell out to me. “I’m alright, I’m alright,” I said, gasping but trying to remain manly. With every bridge I crossed I felt death was certain, but at that time I didn’t care at all because, ironically, I was too afraid to die.

Now I don’t know the exact dimensions of the Canopy walk. But I do know it was very high up and very long. I’ll probably never do it again, but I will make sure to boast about my brave cross to whoever will listen, and to those who won’t. I’ll put some links up so you guys can see exactly what I mean. I must go to seek counseling now. Peace…

Oh and P.S.

I’m Alive! I survived the Canopy Walk!

Links:

www.travelinsights.org/writing/kakum.html

www.usatoday.com/.../2008-09-24-ghana-canopy-walk_N.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment